Our One Percent
The WPA funded 1% of their budget for the arts, which included the Federal Art, Music, Writers and Theatre Projects. Many cities around America use this formula today and so do we. In 1998 Ranger Doug began donating 1% of gross sales back to our parks for the purpose of preserving the WPA-CCC art and architecture within and around our National Parks. To date, we have donated at least 1% of our gross sales to the following projects:
- To Death Valley National Park--Scotty's Castle Preservation Fund--$5000.
- Donated one original WPA poster (Mount Rainier) to the Smithsonian National Postal Museum for a one year exhibit. The final resting place will be the National Park Archives. This is the first of my private collection with four more to follow The last auction record for an original (2005 Grand Canyon) was $9000. This donation is contingent upon the recovery and/or donation of other outlying originals.
- Student Conservation Association: $2000 to provide tools to restore cabins at Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.
- The Living new Deal project: $2000
- Funding for "Wilderness" a book about Alaska by Debra Bloomfield, $2000
- The Grand Rescue Film Project through the Utah Film Center--a documentary film of the 1967 Grand Teton North Face rescue, $2000.
- To The Midwest Museum of Natural History, $500 and one Mt. Erebus Crystal. See related article....
- To the Devils Postpile cabin restoration (via the Student Conservation Association)--$1000
- Grand Teton National Park -- Jenny Lake original WPA poster donated back to Grand Teton National Park. This poster will be displayed at the Jenny Lake Museum in the summer season. View Details.
- Antarctic Heritage Trust -- $1000 for preservation of the "Scott Hut" at Point Evans, Ross Island, Antaractica. Tour this hut with Ranger Doug here.
- New Deal Preservation Association, CCC Art Presentation -- $500
- Great Smoky Mountains National Park $1000 for CCC Original Lighting Restoration. See photo.
- NCCC matching Grant -- $550
- Calaveras State Park, California -- $2000 to to rebuild CCC built campground stoves. See photo.
- Seattle Parks Foundation -- $1000 for the Lake Union Park project and
- Mt. Rainier National Park -- $2000 via the Student Conservation Association to help in rebuilding flood damaged roads and trails.
- Mesa Verde Museum Association -- $1000 for their Centennial Plein Air Painting Exhibition.
- Antarctic Historic Trust -- $1000 for Shackleton's Hut at Cape Royds, Antarctica, listed by the World Monument Society as one of the top 100 threatened historic sites on the planet.
- Mesa Verde Centennial Project -- $1000
- Bear Paw Battlefield Project, Idaho -- $1000
- Bandelier National Monument -- $1000 to curatorial and restoration of CCC buildings.
- Murie Center, Jackson Hole, Wyoming --$1000 for cabin restoration.
- Petrified Forest National Park -- $2000 to restoration of the Petrified Forest WPA poster and restoration of the Painted Desert Visitors Center
- Peaks, Plateaus and Canyons Association -- $2000 seed money for a book on WPA structures in the SW Parks
- Mt. Rainier National Park --Facilitated donated two original WPA posters back to that park. See photo.
- Sharlene Milligan Scholarship fund (Grand Teton Natural History Association) -- $2000 for an Artist in Residency
- General Fund, Grand Teton Natural History Association -- $2000